ORACLE

4/21/2011

Update

This past week has been a blur, to say the least. It has felt like Steph and I were trapped inside a gigantic baby delivery machine, as the gears of the hospital turned and pushed us from one room to the next, and a never ending staff of baby technicians poked, prodded and probed all the livelong day. Getting home from the hospital and into our own bed was a relief. We are all finally settling in and starting to get some rest, and little Ellie is already sleeping through most of the night. So all is well here on the home front.

On the gaming front, I have been busy reviewing the entries for this year's One Page Dungeon Contest. Today is the deadline for the judges to have their picks turned in to Alex, and it looks like I should be able to meet that deadline with no problem.

One thing I have realized during this judging process is how particular I am when it comes to what I expect from an adventure write-up, especially when it is limited to a single page. I strongly believe there are certain basic things that must be present in the design of a one-pager to be considered useful, and more importantly, complete. Before the end of the week I would like to dedicate a blog post to my thoughts on this, and try to offer up some advice that might help future participants in the 1PDC. More on this in a day or two...

7 comments:

Trey said...

Cute photo. :)

Pontifex said...

Wow, sleeping through most of the night this early? You lucky dog!

Is she on formula?

brandykruse said...

Awesome! Sleeping through the night, for baby and parents, is major! Congrats!
Yeah, that baby machine is real. After the first day of them repeatedly pricking my daughter's foot for blood I said 'that's it! no more blood!'

Xyanthon said...

Aha, great picture - the happy papa. I know that well. Welcome to the adventure!

Shane Mangus said...

Thanks, men!

@Greg - as it turns out we have been giving her both formula and breast milk, but the formula is just to help supplement. Most nights we get up to feed her and change her diaper, but that is about it. There have been a couple of nights we had to get up more, but so far we have been pretty lucky.

Bree Yark! said...

Maybe I'm just weird, but I was thinking "King Solomon" when I first saw this picture...

(bearded man + baby + sword)

=)

Pontifex said...

Dude, I so wish my kids had been sleeping well at that age. You lucky bastard! ;)

Seriously though, you are about to get a whole heaping helping of rewarding and fulfilling. Party on, dude