ORACLE

8/01/2011

[Music Mondays] Jex Thoth

I have been listening to a lot, I mean A LOT, of Jex Thoth this past year. I have seen their music categorized as doom metal, but I feel this is a bit shortsighted. Yes, they do have a strong Black Sabbath influence, but their sound also has a deep psychedelic quality that sets them apart from many of the doom acts operating out on the musical landscape right now. I have read somewhere that Jex Thoth, lead singer of the band, refers to their music as "alchemical doom." Heavy guitars, spaced-out keyboards and Jex's haunting voice create an atmosphere that is lush and hypnotic, with just a touch of underlying menace thrown in for good measure. Help me, I have been bewitched and can't seem to quit listening to this band! On second thought, under no circumstances help me!

5 comments:

Sean Robson said...

I'd never heard of them before. But you have to like a group with Thoth in their name!

GrayPumpkin said...

I first heard about Jex Toth about a year ago now, and II have been a big fan ever since. Great music to groove out to when working on a game.

Jeremy Duncan said...

I know this is from a while ago, but thank you so much for turning me on to this artist. I've been listening to the self-titled album over and over again lately.

Shane Mangus said...

@Jeremy - My pleasure! I am glad some of these Music Mondays posts have struck a chord (pun intended) with folks. BTW, I see that you are located in Asheville. My mother lives there. Maybe we can roll some dice sometime when I am up there for a visit...

Jeremy Duncan said...

@Shane Mangus:

Definitely. Mi mesa es su mesa.