ORACLE

1/07/2011

"Your Header Is Too Big..."

I thought I should offer up this post after receiving the third email telling me that the header I have in place here on The Outer Dark is too big. I chose to use a great portion of Chris Huth's fantastic illustration for the current header to show off many of the small details of the piece. I didn't use the entire illustration because of how much room it would have taken up. But I agree that the portion of his illustration I decided to use does take up the entire screen, which may be excessive. As it stands, when a person bring up this blog the first and only image they see is the illustration. I do not plan to leave this as the permanent header, but I couldn't help myself and felt compelled to show off Chris' work. Thanks for your patience. :-)

9 comments:

Stefan Poag said...

"Your header is too big."
That's what your mom said.

"Oh boo hoo I have to scroll." I think the art looks great.

Word verification: Vagismu. What are the odds?

Anonymous said...

I don't know what monitor resolution you're using, but for me your old header took up the whole screen too. :) I don't think it's a problem.

Anonymous said...

It might be too big, but it is brilliant. Love it.

Shane Mangus said...

I use 1280x1024... for what its worth.

Anonymous said...

I use a fairly large monitor 1680x1050 and I think it looks rather nice. I do have to scroll down a bit, but really who cares, it's an awesome piece. I don't mind having to look at it once a day or so.

Anonymous said...

I just wanna know what that awesome font is. :)

-Eric (Mach Front)

biopunk said...

I like detail in art.

I am not opposed to scrolling through great art to get to great blog content either.

I'll enjoy it while it is here.

C'nor (Outermost_Toe) said...

@Limpey:

Probably about the same as getting "Bumroust" which happened to me on Trollsmyth. It's just one of those times where you go "What were they thinking?" followed by "Maybe I'm making a bad assumption here?".

Eric R. Wirsing said...

Ages ago, the makers of Champions: New Millenium decided to litter their site with huge graphics and other things. A person with dial-up (which everyone but colleges and corporations had at the time) couldn't get there. They said they didn't want anyone not on the cutting edge of technology on their site, anyway. I'm not kidding -- the text *was* on their site. I decided not to go there until they got their heads out of their rear ends.

This is the opposite case. I don't mind having to scroll if I can look at cool stuff as I do so. Keep the header.