ORACLE

1/09/2011

Are There Too Many Lovecraftian Projects In the OSR?

Hell. No.

The reason I say this is because I feel the projects that have seen the light of day (Carcosa and Lamentations of the Flame Princess), and the ones that are being promised (Realms of Crawling Chaos, Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea and Swords Against the Outer Dark), all seem different to me. They are all very different from each other. And I believe this is the way Lovecraft himself would have wanted it!

Lovecraft encouraged other writers to add to his so called Cthulhu Mythos as they saw fit. And many, many writers have done just that. For better, or for worse. If you have read as many of these stories as I have over the years, it becomes overwhelmingly obvious that the variances in the way the Mythos is approached is staggering. The beauty of Lovecraft's shared world is that there doesn't seem to be any limit in the way it can be molded and applied to new concepts. Sounds like what is happening in the old-school renaissance, doesn't it?

I guess that is what attracts me to both the OSR and the Cthulhu Mythos. The do-it-yourself attitude is encouraged in both circles, and there will always be those who are willing to do just that. And the sky is the limit for what is possible for both. When reading one of Lovecraft's Mythos stories it is easy to get swept up in the whole thing and want to jump in there and add to it somehow. Same goes for Dungeons & Dragons. We have all had dreams of writing the next big module or campaign setting, or better yet, work for TSR and get paid to create games. The important thing is that both D&D and the Cthulhu Mythos inspire us to dream.

I own PDF copies of Carcosa and LotFP, and Dan Proctor sent me a preview copy of an early version of Realms of Crawling Chaos. I have not played any of these games, but I have read them all. Some more than others. As for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, I have not had the opportunity to see the playtest copy of the game that is floating around out there, but I have followed its development for a very long time now. The one thing that strikes me about every one of these games is how unique they all are from one another. Superficially all of these games are shades of D&D, but when you look closer each game has its own feel and flavor. From gonzo over-the-top Weirdness, to more subtle shades of Weird. Swords Against the Outer Dark will be no different. It will have its own brand of Weird as well. I can promise this much.

So in the end there will be those who will say one of the above mentioned games is better than the other. This is conjecture, and nothing more. Hell, this same debate rages on in the realm of Cthulhu Mythos fiction. And it always will. This story, or this game, is "truer" to the original vision than that one, as the story goes. It is like saying chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla. In the end they are just different flavors of ice cream. And everyone likes to have a choice of flavors. I know I do. I might like chocolate more than vanilla, but I love ice cream.

By now everyone knows that adding tentacles to a story or game does not make that story or game Lovecraftian. On the contrary. It just adds tentacles, and that's all, as long as other Lovecraftian elements are not added in as well. Does Carcosa, LotFP, Realms of Crawling Chaos, Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea and Swords Against the Outer Dark have Lovecraftian elements designed into their game systems? Yes. Do these games stay true to the source material? Yes and no. I'm not convinced that staying slavishly true to Lovecraft's brand of cosmic/existential horror makes for a fun fantasy roleplaying game. It certainly adds depth and flavor. But there has to be some give and take in my opinion. With Swords Against the Outer Dark I decided the game is as much a tribute to Clark Ashton Smith and Robert E. Howard, as it is to Lovecraft. All of these writers wrote Weird fiction, two wrote sword & sorcery tales and all three practiced Yog-Sothothery. In the end, all three were very different writers, yielding different results with their fiction. The same can be said for all the game designers of the games mentioned above.

There will also be folks who review one of these games and tell you "they did it all wrong." I'm not buying this one either. One man's boredom is another's "game of the year." Each and every game/product released into the OSR community, inspired by Lovecraft or not, is a welcome addition in my opinion. And there will always be someone out there loving the product. Even if you don't...

So what drives someone to write a Cthulhu Mythos tale, or to create their own fantasy roleplaying game? Madness is probably a correct answer. Passion for the source material is also a correct answer. I am passionate about the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith and Robert E. Howard. I am also passionate about the game that Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson gave to the world. I feel compelled to honor all of these men by offering up my own Lovecraftian infused sword & sorcery roleplaying game. If I am wrong for wanting to do so, then I am just wrong. I am not in it because I am under the delusion that writing this game will make me rich. If I make a few bucks then of course that is a plus. A big plus. I am writing this game because I am driven to do so. Believe me, I have tried to walk away from it, but I always seem to gravitate back to the project. In the end, all I can do is follow my bliss, and publish the best damn game I can. Once I have done that then the universe will decide if it was all worth it or not.

In closing, let me explain what I envision Swords Against the Outer Dark to be. It is a game of Lovecraftian horror as much as it is a game of sword & sorcery high adventure. It might even lean heavier on the high adventure side of the equation. The rules presented draw heavily from Labyrinth Lord and classic D&D. I have also taken many design cues from other modern non-D&D roleplaying games that I enjoy. The tone of the book is a serious one, and reflects the influence that Lovecraft, Smith and Howard have had on me as a reader and as a gamer. Adventuring is designed to be a perilous undertaking, and the world at large harbors ancient horrors that lie forgotten or undiscovered by mankind. Those brave enough to explore these dark corners of adventure could be rewarded with fame and fortune, but only if they are smart enough, skilled enough and lucky enough to overcome the challenges that await them.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

'In the end, all I can do is follow my bliss, and publish the best damn game I can'

And that's all anyone should expect of a game designer.

I think this profusion of games trying to capture something literary - the Mythos vibe - not just a tentacled green fanny, in a game is ambitious and I'll be interested to see where it takes you

x said...

Amen. Much the same as I echoed yesterday around the blogosphere. I'm loving every minute of it.

One thing you mention is that you READ the material. For every 10 items I have ever purchased only one may get used but all get read. I love reading the material.

Ringworld was a classic case of that. My first copy of the game system and companion is beat to crap because I love reading it and the inspiration it has provided in my own work. Once I had bought all of Niven's material (up to that point) it was the only new thing to read on one of my favorite settings.

Now I'm waiting for a sneak peek at what you are working on...hurry up! :)

James said...

I think that the vision you're describing here is as solid as can be. I'm looking forward to Sword & Sanity. :)

Sean Robson said...

Ha! "Hell, no!" were the first words that entered my head when I saw the title of your post.

I celebrate every new OSR product that is published. We are, collectively, reclaiming roleplaying from the "industry" it has become and turning it back into the hobby that it should be. And, as I've [url=http://flamingtales.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-i-love-about-4e.html]posted previously[/url], the health and continued viability of our hobby depends on diversity, so the more the merrier.

Trey said...

You gotta go where your muse leads and trust your vision. What will the market bear? I don't know, but it is my fervent hope there's always an audience for quality material.

migellito said...

I couldn't agree more. I love the variances in tone from project to project, and I enjoy the unique qualities right alongside the similarities.

I've been following your progress on Sword & Sanity for months now with abated breath, and am very excited by its impending fruition!

Anonymous said...

A much better case could be made that there are too many dwarves-orcs-and-elves projects in the OSR. For every Lovecraftian project, there are countless vanilla-fantasy flavored projects.

We need MORE Lovecraft!

Digital Orc said...

I, too, am looking forward to your game. The concept of adding to a system or mythos is a big part of what the OSR seems to be about.

Also, I see you mention Lovecraft himself encouraged others to develop his mythos. Too bad there isn't open copyright on all of his creations/names.

I recently came across Cthulhupunk (http://digitalorc.blogspot.com/2011/01/cthulhupunk-interesting-genre.html) ever heard of it?

Newt Newport said...

I'm not much of a Lovecraft fan (proper Gothic Horror and Clive Barker is more my scene: there's a blog post in there), but the various "When Lovecraft meet D&D" games/projects are inspiring me to strike my own path with what I'm doing with my own OSR releases.

One thing I remember fondly about the old days was when AD&D 1st ed chucked out lots of new vibraint settings such as Oriental Adventures, Ravenloft and Dark Sun ( a particular fave and inspiration of mine). I think all the current Horror D&D games are merely the tip of the ice berg. I spent last night thinking of all the possiblities of using S&W as a base for a class & level based games of various genres. It was a lot of fun ;)

velaran said...

@Shane Mangus:
Absolutely. Everyone brings something to the table. Looking forward to your contribution. Game on!

@Newtus:

Fun Facts: ;-)

Oriental Adventures was a supplement in 1985 for AD&D, it become a setting for Forgotten Realms around 1988. Never seemed to find a place in gamer's hearts.

Ravenloft was a AD&D adventure that first became a camapign setting in early 2nd Edition.(1990) This was THE GAME for my and my Crew! TSR's fanbase loved it too, thankfully...

Dark Sun got its start in 2nd Edition the year after Ravenloft. Also tremendously popular, I never actually got to play this. One day I'll use BRP to do just that.

2nd Edition Generally:
One of 2nd Edition's strengths was its campaign worlds.(It had the ones carried over from AD&D, plus its own!) Kinda miss those days of going to the FLGS and looking over new products, but the varied worlds now seen on the interwebz are very promising.

Taranaich said...

Man, I'm really out of the loop: what on earth is an OSR?

Shane Mangus said...

@Al (Taranaich) - OSR = old-school renaissance, which is basically a loose knit community of gamers that hold the torch for classic roleplaying games. Most of the blather in the OSR tends to focus on older editions of Dungeons & Dragons, but there are countless other RPGs that can be counted as "old-school" games.

Lord Ghul of Hyperborea said...

Great post, Shane. Of all the blog essays I've read this week, yours resonates best with me. I appreciate you taking the time to mention my AS&SH game, and I look forward to reading your developing works. I've taken a great interest in your blog over the last several months, because I feel as though you and I are very like of mind, with similar aspirations and (obviously) inspirations.

Best,
Jeff T.

Shane Mangus said...

@Jeff - of all the games I listed in this post I feel that AS&SH and SAtOD are going to be the most similar. That is not to say "the same game" by any means. It just seems to me that we are very much on the same wave length on a whole lot of things. I can't wait to see your game, and I wish you all the best with getting it to press.

Taranaich said...

Ah, I see, cool. I'm woefully ignorant of gaming mores.

Would Spelljammer be involved in the OSR, or is that too recent?

Shane Mangus said...

@Al - it depends on who you ask whether Spelljammer counts as old-school or not. SJ is a setting published for 2nd edition D&D, which to some qualifies it as such. Others would dispute this notion, and argue it is not. In my humble opinion, since SJ was published by TSR (the original company established by Gary Gygax and also published D&D in the first place) I would say it qualifies as an old-school product.

C'nor (Outermost_Toe) said...

Argh. I really need to get off my butt and read some of these books don't I?