ORACLE

8/08/2009

Solomon Kane Bootleg Comic-Con Trailer

If ever there was a soldier who took up arms against the Outer Dark it was Solomon Kane. This Puritan swordsman was created by Robert E. Howard, and he has become almost as iconic as Howard’s other famous sword & sorcery hero Conan. In many ways I actually prefer the Solomon Kane stories over those written about Conan. This is mainly due to Kane’s dark and sullen demeanor, the time period in which his adventures took place and the dark gothic atmosphere of the tales.

I have been following the production of the Solomon Kane movie since its announcement in 2006, and so far there has been very little information out on the net as to when it will be released. Well the silence has broken, and a new trailer was previewed at Comic-Con ’09. Perhaps this means the movie will soon see the light of day.

Trailer Addict has a bootleg copy of the trailer:


6 comments:

Sham aka Dave said...

I waver between REH favorites, from Kane to Conan to Bran Mak Morn. I wish Bran Mak Morn had received more ink from REH, and I'm happy to see Kane getting attention in Hollywood finally.

I have vowed to watch the Kane movie and try to forget everything I've read. In this way I hope to enjoy the film and not be one of those fanboi nay-sayers hung up on some nuance of REH-Kane dogmatism who ends up bashing the movie. This is one I just want to enjoy.

Wish me luck.

Shane Mangus said...

I am in the same boat. I am torn between being a purist and a fanboi. If I can enjoy the new Kane film as much as I enjoyed (and still enjoy) Conan the Barbarian I will be very happy. Barbarian is by no means a faithful adaption of the Conan saga, but it hit upon enough "sweet spots" that I can live with the compromises. I would say much of the weight of the Kane film is on James Purefoy's shoulders, and the way he portrays Solomon Kane. With his talent I feel we are in for a great performance.

Sham aka Dave said...

I need to stop now or my expectations will be too high! :-)

I will say this about Conan the Barbarian; 28 years has made me appreciate it more than ever. It's a damn good S&S movie, and I cannot name a better example of the genre in the period of 1981 to the present. I might be forgetting something, though...?

Shane Mangus said...

Agreed... Barbarian is at the top of the heap!

Shane Mangus said...

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but it seems the trailer has been taken down by request of the copyright holders.

I do not see a way to embed the trailer like I was able to from Trailer Addict, but here is a link for those wishing to get a peek of Solomon Kane:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=14524&count=0

Joshua Sherrer said...

I liked the trailer even though it looked like a mature version of Van Helsing. I think I will enjoy the movie as much as I have Conan the Barbarian, Lord of the Rings and the new Batman movies. Is it going to be a great film and open up more S&S? Probably not but it looks like a good popcorn muncher and a good source of ideas.